Friday, August 16, 2013

Ms. Delmaine's Question of the Day

How do you feel about Olaudah Equiano's Narrative so far?

Well, considering the fact that Olaudah was a slave that bought his own freedom and proved everyone who ever doubted him wrong, I really like the book so far. Granted I could do without all the extravagant wording and things of that sort but overall, I like the book. Olaudah was a true genius, he could pick up a language simply by listening to those who spoke it. He didn't have to study at it, he didn't have to work for it, it came to him naturally and I think that's what made him so special. He was that of a white man's standard. And it wasn't very common to find someone who was of that standard.

Olaudah was a special person, he went though a lot in his lifetime. In being taken from his country and being separated from his sister, it's very hard to imagine what life would be like if I didn't have them beside me (especially if I were being taken into slavery). I couldn't do half the things I do today without my sisters. I have 3 and it's hard to explain what would happen if I lost even one of them, I can't begin to tell you what would happen if I lost all 3.

Olaudah is right now, in the part of the book I'm at right now, he is being transported from ship to ship and finally gets put on land. For a moment, he thinks he's going to be freed, but soon comes to realize that he's there to work. He is very confused and scared about what's going to happen that he soon become depressed and doesn't really know what to do with himself. He contemplates a lot of things about death and dying, but he never carries out any of them. He sees many deaths of those who he has worked with and it scares him into realizing that he has the power to overcome these awful things. He can do something about what has happened to him and he can change the world.

Let's just say that I'm very excited to find out what happens later in the book. <3

~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment